By Maria Lisa Immanuel
I worked for the President under the Presidential Advisors from 2017 to 2021. I am saddened by your passing, our President Dr. Hage Geingob. But I chose to celebrate your life and your contribution to Namibia. I’m privileged not to only have known you as my President but as a Civil Servant and a boss to my bosses. What a pleasure, a privilege and honour to have worked in your proximity to tap into your direct wisdom.
My Favs about President Hage Geingob is his sarcasm (which is the way he makes jokes, so you have to be sharp to keep up otherwise you will feel intimidated) his intelligence, and of course his kind heart. He was a giver. He gave so much; it is truly inspirational to experience. He shifted so many perspectives i have had on topical issues we face daily as a country.
My fav is when he talks about One Namibia, One Nation. What a unifier! Some of my fav quotes:
- The truth does not change
- Education is an equalizer
- His analogy on how to be Effective versus efficiency
- ‘Very well’ when he is done speaking to you.
- Also when he shares his story about when he left the government to the UN. He would use it to refer to people who don’t want to work but chose to rather sabotage the work of government. He would say, if you are not happy then leave, don’t stay just to sabotage (at this stage he’s probably annoyed). Then he will conclude; ‘I also left when I was not happy, then I came back, now, I’m the President’.
I was also inspired by his role in developing the initial human capacity in preparation for Independence. UNIN concept showed visionary leadership from our leaders.
The rest is in a song I wrote for him on Dr. Steytler’s instructions. Dr. Hage G. Geingob was a good and transformational leader who did his best for Namibia.
Maria Lisa Immanuel, a Musician & Trade Economist writes from Namibia